The Institut Guttmann has a Quality Management System that cuts across the entire organization and is integrated into the Corporate Social Responsibility Management System, promoting excellence from a process-focused perspective.
Among the main dimensions defined in the institutional policy of Corporate Social Responsibility, Person-Centered Care is of central importance, aimed at satisfying the needs and expectations of people, the strategies that promote the involvement of different professionals in providing quality services and continuous improvement, professionalism and the promotion of training, as well as the implementation of activities to improve patient safety and clinical effectiveness.
As more relevant facts in the activities carried out during 2019, some of them are continuous, but very relevant for the progressive deployment of the Quality Management System that is the basis of the accreditation of acute hospital care centres in Catalonia, as they are:
- We have actively participated in various initiatives and collaboration projects with other health organizations, appraisers or funders for the improvement of the quality of hospital care.
- Consolidation of the Minority Neuromuscular Diseases Unit with the Germans Trias i Pujol University Hospital, which has allowed us to be accredited as a Clinical Expert Unit for Minority Neuromuscular Diseases.
- Identification, networking and consolidation of key initiatives for improving the quality and safety of the patient.
- Consolidation of the Networked Inn of the Program of Optimisation of the Use of Antibiotics (PROA) with 66 revisions during 2019.
- Consolidation of the safe practice of “Conciliation of the medicine to the discharge” with a progressive increase of the compliance, passing from 57% in 2017 to 95.71% in 2019.
- Development and implementation of the Post-Surgical Infection Prevention in Hospital (PREVINQCAT) program.
- Start of the closed bladder sounding circuit.
- Presentation of various communications such as “The application and evaluation of pain prevention and control strategies in patients” or “The advances in active infection surveillance by multisurgeons at the Institut Guttmann”.
- Revision, adaptation, piloting and start of the integrated satisfaction survey for patients attending the Multidisciplinary Unit for Minority Diseases.
During 2019, the Security Perception Band for patients has been performed for the first time. The aim of the survey is to know what the security perception of patients admitted to the hospital is and, based on the results, to establish the corresponding actions and follow up on the compliance with standards, in order to promote the culture of security in the organization. The overall result of the positive perception of security was 87.95%.
The deployment of improvement strategies in the organization is effective in all identified processes and therefore affects all disciplines and professional areas with the aim of boosting the different management systems of the Institut Guttmann. These strategies are promoted through the 28 committees, sub-committees and working groups, and also through the leadership of the different clinical and non-clinical managers of the organisation’s different processes. The committee meets regularly throughout the year and collaborates in the management and development of its area of knowledge.