The Empowerment and Quality of Life Area was launched during 2019. It is linked to the NeuroPsychoSocial Area and is closely related to social research programmes. This area aims to generate discourse, reflection and knowledge within the framework of the social model of disability, promoting the empowerment of patients and families and encouraging intervention from the professionals of the Institut Guttmann to have an impact on quality of life.
During 2020, projects such as the “Independent Living Accompaniment Plan” and the social research project “Participa” were promoted from this new area, and changes have been implemented in the QVIDLAB project and in the “Hospital Participation and Social Inclusion Programme”.
For many years at the Institut Guttmann, progress has been made towards an intervention model based on the social model of disability that promotes people’s empowerment and quality of life, known as the “Independent Living Accompaniment Plan”. The aim is to formalise it within the heart of the organisation, especially in the “Guttmann Barcelona Life” initiative, but also within the Neurorehabilitation Hospital. Its main objective is to promote an independent living model for people with neurological disabilities, and the opportunity to fully incorporate this perspective in the “Strategic Plan 2020-2025” and to be able to make it effective through the new organisation into clinics that is being promoted.
Objectives of the Empowerment and Quality of Life Area:
- To promote people’s empowerment by encouraging reflection so that they acquire knowledge and become involved in defending their own rights.
- To encourage self-determination, in the sense that people make their decisions based on their life goals and expectations.
- To guide self-managed support resources for independent living.
- To support people in the self-management of personal relationships.
- To promote peer support to facilitate empowerment.